Sunday, April 17, 2011

Finally...

A restful weekend at home.  Although I feel like I got at least a little bit accomplished.  After 'dealing with the cat' Friday afternoon, Carolyn and I got out of the house and went to the China Spring softball game vs Connally to see our friend Kelly Levesque coach once more before her big trip to Italy that she left for yesterday.  If Coach Levesque ever reads this blog, she should feel very special, for 2 reasons.  1) We chose the softball game over the aTm vs BU baseball game in Waco, and 2) Emma Leigh has been to 2 of her softball games this season and has yet to attend an Aggie athletic event.  It was kind of eerie at the game because the smoke from the wildfires near Abilene had blown in and made the sun and sky an unusual reddish gray.  Felt out of the loop considering I hadn't heard about the wildfires until we got home and watched the news, just knew something was very odd. 

Saturday morning Carolyn woke me up abruptly, announcing we only had one dog in the back yard when she went to feed them, Jake had taken advantage of some rocks I rearranged along the back fence and quite magician like escaped into our neighbors yard behind us.  Fortunately he was still in their yard even though they had their gate open to the wild blue yonder if he had wanted to.  I think he was more perplexed at the fact there were no dogs there considering that house has changed occupants since his last prison break.  The rest of the Saturday was filled with relaxing with Emma Leigh and Carolyn.  I harvested a 3 green onions for Carolyn's broccoli bacon salad and a radish.  Sunday I harvested a couple more green onions for our neighbor Miss Boopsie so that I can try and get some more in the ground soon.  After fertilizing the garden, roses, and plants in the front yard while Emma Leigh hung out in her swing, we went to our Sunday school class social at Erin and Scott Roger's house.  We cooked steaks on the grill and enjoyed catching up with everyone before Emma Leigh got tired and we had to get her to bed.  We have a suspicion that Emma Leigh may be getting a tooth, she's been a little fussier these past few days accompianied with some excessive drool, although we've seen this before so only time will tell.  I guess it was Thursday night we had sat Emma Leigh down in the living room with her toys while we ate dinner and about halfway through my meal I'd turned to check on her and she had pulled up on our basket full of blankets and just grinned like she thought she was SO big.  We truly are to the stage where she does something new practically every day.  I'm sure full fledged 'cruising' (I'm told that's what they call it) will surely set in within the next few weeks which means its only a matter of time before she's courageous enough to take that monumental first step.  Pretty incredible to think about considering 8 months ago today I was just now passing her around and showing her off.  I am very thankful God has blessed us with such a healthy and lively baby girl.  Also new to our world via Emma Leigh is a pretty constant dose of 'ba-ba-ba-ba-ba'.  I'm trying to mutate it into a da-da-da while Carolyn keeps influencing her to change it to a ma-ma-ma sound.  Sometimes she lets us fill in the blank and just bobs her chin up and down with no noise at all. 


Today we were bad and skipped early service and singing in the choir.  Not sure why, but the first hour after waking up this morning I felt more exhausted than when I went to bed.  Normally I'm a little more chipper than that in the mornings.  We did get up and make it to Sunday shool though and then had to help in the nursery during the 2nd church service.  After running a few errands, I took on the challenge of trying to diagnose and fix an old lawn mower we bought from our neighbor at the beginning of last mowing season.  It worked for a few cuts and then after that I just couldnt get it to run.  So today I decided if I couldn't get it running it had to get out of my garage and I'd just use my much puinier and non-self propelled lawn mower another season.  However, after several hours of unbolting and cleaning and head scratching and rebolting and unbolting and rebolting, I primed it 4 times, put the throttle in full 'hare' position, yanked the cord and to my surprise (and it's surprise I think too) it cranked right up!  I don't think I've ever had so much fun mowing the front yard.  I didn't take myself as much of a tinkering type person.  The bad thing is I couldn't tell you what I did to it, just put the pieces back together better than I did taking them apart I guess. 


Well, tomorrow its back to the grindstone... God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment